How to make Extract Herbal Oils
Step-by-step process for extracting oils
- Place the leaves of the herb in a pot and cover with
- Place a vegetable steamer in the pot over the top of the leaves and water.
- Put a measuring cup inside the steamer.
- Place the lid on the pot upside down, so that the handle is pointing towards the measuring cup.
- Boil the water to steam the leaves.
The water will condense and evaporate, and the condensation will slide toward the handle and into the measuring cup.
- Put approximately four ice cubes on top of the upside down pot lid to hasten the steam condensation.
- Turn off the heat once all the ice has melted.
- Take off the lid, discard the ice cube water, then remove the glass measuring cup.
- Pour the measuring cup contents into a separating
funnel, but make sure the stopcock at the bottom of the
funnel is closed.
- Close the top of the funnel and shake vigorously.
- Invert the funnel and then open to release the pressure.
The oil will float to the top of the water, effectively separating the two substances.
- Put a glass bottle beneath the stopcock and release the
- Pour the oil into a tinted glass bottle.
Repeat the process up to three more times to pull more oil from the leaves.